Sunday, April 3, 2011

Old Fashioned Coconut Meringue Pie


I made this on March 14 - Pi Day! It's another recipe by Southern Plate's Christy Jordan. She has such delicious recipes. I LOVE Coconut Cream Pie! It's one of my all time favorite pies. This came out delicious, but I thought just a smidgeon salty. I think it's because I used salted butter. Otherwise, I thought it was great tasting. I did not make a meringue topping. I used the Cool Whip I had in the freezer. For the crust, I used Cristy's Mix in the Pan Pie Crust. Talk about simple!
Mix in the Pan Pie Crust

Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cup Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar
1 teaspoons Salt
1/2 Cup Cooking Oil
2 Tablespoon milk

Directions:
Mix flour, salt, and sugar in pie pan. Slowly add milk and oil. Mix well with a fork and pat out to fit pan.

Bake at 350 until brown, usually about ten minutes.

Coconut Meringue Pie

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
stick margarine, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs, separated
1 heaping cup coconut, sweetened flaked
9 inch pie shell, baked (or the above Mix in the Pan Pie Crust)

Directions:
Mix flour, sugar, salt, margarine, milk and egg yolks in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and coconut. Pour into baked pie shell. Top with meringue.

Meringue

3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

Whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar. Continue beating on high speed until soft peaks form. Pour onto top of pie and spread to edges to seal well. Sprinkle additional coconut on top. Bake at 325 for ten minutes or until top is golden. Refrigerate until completely cold before serving.

No comments: