Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Girl Paula: Chocolate Sugar Cookies



I've been meaning to make these all week. Several times I got the butter out to soften and end up putting back in fridge! I am so glad I finally made them today. They are delicious!

Ingredients:

1 cup butter softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each additional. Beat in vanilla.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until combined. Divide dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out dough using desired cutters. Place on prepared baking sheets, and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are firm. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Frost cookies with your favorite frosting (I used the recipe mixing 2 cups confectioners sugar, 2 T softened butter, 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 T milk and red food coloring). Garnish with sanding sugar and sprinkles if desired.

Yields: about 3 dozen (I got 20 cookies; I used large cutter.

No comments: