Wednesday, May 27, 2009

German Chocolate Cheesecake

I saw this recipe on Mommy's Kitchen site and knew I had to make it! I LOVE German Chocolate cake! I absolutely love Tina's site. I want to make almost every recipe on her site! Keep the fantastic recipes coming!

I haven't had a chance to taste the finished product yet...yes, another dessert for Thursday night dinners at my parents' house! I know the batters were delicious and the topping fantastic after I whipped it up.

Friday - This was awesome. I loved the homemade topping!

CAKE:
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) German Chocolate cake mix
and ingredients to make

CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten

FROSTING:
1 cup sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter, cubed
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
1-1/2 cup chopped pecans


DIRECTIONS:

Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.

Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.

For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.

Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers.

Yield: 16 servings

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Wow, that looks great! I'm gaining weight just reading the post!! :) Hope you enjoyed it!!

Anonymous said...

This looks sinful!!!!!

Tami said...

This sounds like a winner to me! Two of my favorite combined...what could be better?!?

Tina Butler said...

How was the verdict on the cake??? I am dying to know.................................... It has to be good, I couldnt stop eating that cake me and girls described it as better than sex cake. I cant wait to make it again. My MIL requested it when she visits.