Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cookie Carnival: Strawberry Shortcake Cookies



I am really surprised I found time and energy to make cookies tonight. It's been such a hectic week with my mom. She is definitely getting better - her speech has improved greatly. I still go over there nightly to prepare dinner (unless my sister is there and we work together), get Mom's pills ready for next day, make coffee, hang out. I was very tired tonight and I friend had prepared a casserole. I was able to go over for only 1 1/2 hours and had the rest of the evening to myself. My son is still at camp until Saturday.


I have not participated in Cookie Carnival in months. This month's recipe caught my eye since I absolutely LOVE strawberries. The recipe is from Martha Stewart. It took awhile to cut up the stawberries into little bitty pieces. I ended up digging into the dough to get it all mixed up well. But the end result....Yummy! It's a wonderful soft cookie with lots of flavor.



Ingredients:


12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces {2 cups}
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
Sanding sugar for sprinkling {All I had was regular sugar}


Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 375. Combine strawberries, 2 Tbsp of sugar and lemon juice in a bowl.


2. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub it in with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together.


3. Stir in strawberry mixture.


4. Using a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop the dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.


5. Bake until golden brown, 24-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.


Makes about 3 dozen

4 comments:

Tami said...

These look so good! I love strawberries,too!

I keep forgetting about making them. I even have strawberries in the frig-but we are eating them tonight with cheesecake filling and chocolate.

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Definitely less time consuming than last month's recipe challenge.

Great work!!!

Anonymous said...

Those look good! Glad your mom is doing better.

Martha said...

Nice job! Glad you had the time and energy for cookie carnival this month. Baking can be very soothing -- I think it's all the wonderful smells -- in times of stress.