Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Red Beans and Rice


I am constantly looking through all my cookbooks. I found this recipe in Christmas Cookbook by Gooseberry Patch (I know...Christmas!). It looked delicious and it was. My son did not want to try it, so I halved the recipe. I omitted the green pepper and oregano. Oregano is not my favorite spice and the diced tomatoes had oregano in it. It was very simple to make which is a plus for me. I enjoyed it and have a bunch left over for lunch tomorrow.

Ingredients:

1 lb. kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (16-oz) cans dark kidney beans, drained
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. black pepper
4 c. hot cooked rice

Directions:

Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over low heat 6 minutes, stirring often. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add beans, tomatoes, oregano and pepper; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve over rice.

Makes 4-6 servings.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

One of the great things about Gooseberry Patch's cookbooks is their versatility even when they are meant to be seasonal. This dish looks delicious!!!!