Monday, August 2, 2010

My Girl, Paula: French Toast Stuffed with Banana and Walnuts



Last week's Theme for My Girl, Paula was Breakfast. I found this recipe in the The Lady & Sons, Too cookbook. I can't say this was my favorite recipe, but it was still good. I think I would have liked a little less banana stuff.

Ingredients:

6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
4 very ripe bananas
1/4 cup (1 oz) coarsely chopped walnuts
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
3 slices egg bread
4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions:

In a large, shallow bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs until lightly frothy. Stir in the milk; set aside.

Peel bananas into a small bowl and mash them with a fork. Stir in the walnuts and nutmeg. Spread the banana-walnut mixture evenly over half the bread slices, leaving a 1/4 inch border uncovered on all edges. Top with remaining bread slices and press down gently to seal.

Place 2 sandwiches in the egg mixture and press down gently. Turn gently and let soak for a moment, until evenly saturated on both sides. Remove from the bowl and repeat with the remaining two sandwiches.

In a frying pan or on a griddle large enough to hold all the sandwiches at once, melt 2 T of the butter over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and fry until the undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Cut the remaining 2 T butter into several pieces and dot them around the pan. Flip the sandwiches with a spatula and fry until the second side is browned, about 2 minutes longer.

Place the French toast on warmed individual plates. Using a small, fine sieve, lightly dust the tops with confectioner's sugar. Serve hot, with jam or maple syrup.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That looks really good. I just realized I totally FORGOT to do Paula! I can't believe I did that. I meant to.

Jennifer said...

YUM! This sounds and looks delicious!