Sunday, March 21, 2010

Irish Soda Bread Muffins


This is my third recipe from the Taste of Home Holiday Irish Food & Fun magazine. I have never had Irish soda bread. My son, on his dad's side, is part Irish so he takes St. Patty's Day serious. I didn't want to mess with yeast (no time, really). When I found this recipes, I decided to try it. They were good muffins. A mixture between rye bread and a sweet raisin bread. Made a good side dish to the soup.

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup, plus 1 T sugar, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 dried currents or raisins

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and caraway seeds. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, butter and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins.

Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Serve warm.

Yield: 1 dozen

No comments: