Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Weight Watchers Baked Turkey and Jack Cheese Chimichangas



My son and I decided to start watching our weight. I re-joined Weight Watchers almost 2 weeks ago. Of course, getting sick put a damper on the dieting, but I've been doing pretty well. I lost 3.2 pounds my first week! I still plan on cooking, just not so much sweet stuff.

I found this recipe a couple years ago and never made it. I really didn't have high hopes on it being good, but boy was I wrong! Jimmy and I loved it! It was delicious! It's only 5 points for each one, too.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb uncooked ground turkey breast
16 oz fat free canned refried beans
1 3/4 cups salsa
1 tsp chili powder
4.5 oz canned green chilis, diced and drained
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterary Jack cheese
8 large burrito size wheat flour tortillas
1 cup salsa
(also called for sour cream and scallions, but I skipped)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat large skillet with cooking spray. Coat a 13x9x2 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Add turkey to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Drain any excess liquid from pan and then add beans, 1 3/4 cups salsa, chili peppers, chili powder and scallions (3 T). Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes; stir in cheese.

Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil; warm in oven for 10 minutes.

Assemble chimichangas by spooning about 1/2 cup of turkey mixture onto each tortilla; fold in sides and roll up.

Place chimichangas in prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered until tortillas are crisp and browned, about 20 minutes. Serve each topped with 2 T of salsa and 1 T of sour cream.




I added a handful of cheese to the top.



4 comments:

kelly said...

i will have to give that a try

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! I'm still trying to get motivated.

Libby@CookingWithLibby said...

That looks great! I've been thinking of doing the weight loss thing too. Haven't gotten motivated to start though.

Jennifer said...

That's awesome that you and Jimmy are doing this together! BRAVO!