Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pumpkin Tea Bread

My mom has made this recipe since I was young growing up in Fairborn, Ohio.  It was a recipe given to her by our across the street neighbor, Ruby Schauer.  Mrs. Schauer always made the best food...divinity, homemade strawberry preserves...

My mom always made this bread at Thanksgiving.  They moved here 5 or 6 years ago.  Last year I started making the bread as her dementia was worse.  On September 11th, we lost my mother to a stroke.  It's been rough, but with the upcoming holidays, I've been really feeling her loss.  She was a wonderful, sweet lady.

Pumpkin Tea Bread

3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin
3 cups flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t baking powder
1 t cloves
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 t baking soda

Directions:

Combine sugar and oil.  Beat until well blended.

Add eggs and blend.  Add pumpkin.  Blend.

Sift flour and add remaining ingredients.  Add to the pumpkin mixture and beat several minutes until well blended.

Pour batter into ungreased tube pans lined with wax paper.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Cool in pans.

Straight out of the oven

No comments: