Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm Baaack.....Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings


I know it has been ages since I've posted anything. Life has been a little crazy the last few months as my friends know. First my dad had a mild heart attack and had by-pass surgery. Next, my 15 year old son had to have his appendix out. Then, the end of October I came down with the beginnings of pneumonia. For now everyone is well. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I received this recipe from the Campbell's Kitchens. Once a week you receive an email with different recipes. There were a few that I wanted to try. This one was the first one.

It was very easy to put together, no precooking, just some chopping. My only issue was that it needed more spice. Pepper did nicely. Also, the dumplings took FOREVER to set. I ended up putting the crock pot insert into the oven for a little less than 10 minutes when the dumplings would not set after about an hour.

But, never mind that....it was DELICIOUS! Mmmm Mmmm Good! My son had two giant helpings.

Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings

Ingredients:

about 1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups baby carrots
2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) cream of chicken soup (regular or 98% fat free)
1 cup water
1 tsp dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/4 tsp ground pepper (needs way more)
2 cups all-purpose baking mix
2/3 cup milk

Directions:

Stir the chicken, potatoes, carrots and celery in a 6 qt slow cooker.

Stir together the soup, water, thyme, and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour soup mixture over the chicken and vegetables.

Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.

Stir the baking mix and milk in a medium bowl. Drop the batter by spoonfuls onto the chicken mixture. Increase the heat to HIGH. Tilt the lid to vent and cook for 30 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked in the center.


Serves: 8

1 comment:

Michele said...

Yum! I love dumplings. And crockpot recipes are the best.