Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Banana Crumb Cake


I love Christy Jordan of Southern Plate! She has some of the most awesome recipes. Her cookbook is fantastic! I look through it all the time.

I had three bananas needing to be used up, which is just the right number for this recipe. The whole recipe was put together fast and is so wonderful! We ate it with Cool Whip when it was still a tad warm. Oh my goodness! Make this and you will not be sorry!

Banana Crumb Cake

Ingredients

3 bananas, peeled
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine (I used unsalted butter)
1 cup milk
1 cup chopped nuts, optional (I used walnuts)
2 cups self-rising flour
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Crumb Topping
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
1 cup brown sugar, light or dark
1 cup flour (whatever kind you have on hand)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray two 8x8 inch pans with cooking spray. Place the bananas and sugar in a large bowl. Mix until the bananas are liquified. Add the margarine and mix until creamed together with the banana mixture. Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.

In a medium bowl, combine all the topping ingredients. Cut together with a long-tined fork until well blended. Pour one-quarter of the batter into each pan and top with one quarter of the topping. Pour the remaining batter and top with the remaining topping.

Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Serve from the pan.

1 comment:

Michele said...

It looks awesome! I love banana bread. I have to get that cookbook too.