Saturday, September 1, 2012

Briar Patch Bake and Parmesan Pillows

I made these two recipes probably in my teens.  I remember getting the recipes out of a Reader's Digest Magazine when still living in Ohio.  It was in an advertisement for Kraft.

I've made a few times through the years but not recently.  My son does not remember it, but my daughter vaguely remembers having it.

Both are really simple recipes, perfect for a work night.  The Parmesan Pillows instead of using the biscuit mix, I just used Pillsbury biscuits in a can.  Still was delicious!

I looked on line and found both recipes quickly on Cooks.com.

My son really liked the dinner except the onions.  It can be made easily without onions.  I thought the Briar Patch Bake tasted better heated up two days later for leftovers.

Remember the Brer Rabbit that lived in the Briar Patch?  The movie is "Song of the South".  Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah!




Briar Patch Bake

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup any barbecue sauce
1/2 cup chopped onion
7 1/4 oz pkg Kraft macaroni and cheese

Brown meat, drain.  Stir in bbq sauce and onion.  Heat.

Prepare dinner as directed on package, except use 1/2 cup milk.

Layer half the dinner in 10x6 baking dish; cover with meat mixture.  Top with remaining mac and cheese.

Cover; bake at 350 degrees, 25 to 30 minutes.


Parmesan Pillows

2 cups all-purpose biscuit mix (or use canned biscuits)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup grated Kraft Parmesan cheese

Prepare biscuit mix as directed on package for rolled biscuits.  On lightly floured surface, knead dough 10 times.  Roll to 10 x 6 inch rectangle.  Cut into 2 inch squares; cut each square in half diagonally.  Dip into butter; coat with cheese.

Place on greased cookie sheet; bake at 450 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.  Serve warm.



No comments: