Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pasta Fagioli


I found this yummy recipe while looking through Ginas Skinny Recipes. She has lots of wonderful looking recipes! The best is the Weight Watchers points. Yes....I'm trying again. Now that I'm mid-40's I realize it's time to do better on watching my health. So, as of Sunday....it's a new me!

I was going to make this for dinner on Monday. I had it mostly made, but had to run my son somewhere. I decided on something else that night, but the pot in the fridge and finished in the morning before work. It made for a great filling lunch!

Pasta Fagioli

Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1-15 oz can cannellini beans
15 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1 large bay leaf
1 T basil
1 T parsley
1 tsp oregano
2 (14 oz each) cans chicken brother (fat free)
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) dry Ditalini pasta or other small pasta
grated Parmesan

Directions:
In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.

Add beans, tomato sauce, celery, carrots, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Add water and bring to slow boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to package directions.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese.

5 servings (about 1 1/2 cups each)

6 WW+ points (grated cheese extra)


No comments: